Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Red Velvet Cake Balls!

Posted by Lauren at 10:40 PM
Ok, so I got the recipe from a friend... super secret and all that jazz, and I would never post a recipe given by someone who didn't want me to. So I wont. However... I also did not use that recipe. I did a lot of research on line and found countless posts about this new craze.

The most basic recipe says to use:
1 box of cake mix... prepare as listed on box and cooled
1 can of frosting
Chocolate to dip

Once cake is cooled, crumble. Mix in the frosting until mushy and delicious. Scoop out some small balls. Cool (overnight for best results). Dip in melted chocolate.

I stuck some popsicle sticks in there too!

Tonight I tried a new red velvet recipe. Big mistake! I should have stuck with the old one, which, in my opinion, is damn near perfect. I also didn't have any cream cheese, so that was obviously out of the question. Instead I ended up using my regular go-to buttercream frosting (minus the vanilla because I'm all out of that too... need to hit the store tomorrow!)

Anywho, they taste incredible. I started to dip them in white chocolate but they are still too soft and they came out quite mushy. I'm keeping them in the freezer tonight and will resume the dipping tomorrow. I also just found out that this works best if you use a mixture of half chocolate, half cocoa butter. (need to add cocoa butter to my list)

Tomorrow I will add some pics when they are all done. Next time i'm trying it out with good 'ol chocolate cake and chocolate frosting.

0 comments on "Red Velvet Cake Balls!"

Post a Comment

 

Desserts By Lauren Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez