Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Home made bread

Posted by Lauren at 11:28 PM
Ok... let me start by saying "I hate white bread!" Completely hate it! I'd much rather have multi-grain or whole wheat. BUT... I LOVE home made white bread.

So I was looking for a new basic white bread recipe for sandwiches and such and found a Julia Child's recipe. I tried it last week and messed it up a little. Not that it was hard, I just didn't read it all. It's actually very easy to make. Especially if you have a stand mixer.

This bread baked up so nicely. The crust is nice and crisp with a light buttery taste and perfect texture. Try it! It's incredible!

Here's a crappy cell phone pic

UPDATE: Made some french toast with this bread this morning... OMG amazing! I cut thin slices and sprinkled some cinnamon and sugar into the egg with a drop of salt. Once they were in the pan I sprinkled a little extra cinnamon and sugar. I topped it with some sweet butter and syrup. My favorite french toast!

Another crappy cell phone pic... sorry.

So here's the recipe... it makes 2 loafs! I may try to half it next time, but i'm not sure. So far it keeps pretty well. I may try to freeze a loaf next time.

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Pour 1/2 cup of the water into a bowl and mix with yeast and sugar til foamy. (I put it in my stand mixer bowl)
  2. Let sit for 5 minutes until creamy.
  3. Put the yeast mixture, rest of the water and 3 1/2 cups of the flour into the mixer with the dough hook. (I only added 3 cups at this point)
  4. Mix slowly until blended then add the rest of the flour. (I added it a cup at a time. I only needed about 6 1/4 cups. Depending on season, weather, and humidity the amount may change)
  5. Increase speed and scrape down the sides til the dough comes together.
  6. (If it doesn't add a tbsp of flour at a time til it does.) Add salt and mix at medium speed for 10 minutes (or do half in mixer and half kneading-I did about 10 minutes in the mixer and just kneaded it for a minute or 2) til dough is smooth and elastic.
  7. Back in mixer add butter 1 tbsp at a time (dough may come apart, but mixing will pull it back together-My dough didn't come apart.).
  8. Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and shape it into a ball then place in a large buttered or oiled bowl.
  9. Turn dough so it is completely coated in the fat, then cover in plastic for 45 minutes to an hour, til it has doubled in size at room temperature. (I let it sit in the hot kitchen for an hour)
  10. Butter 2 loaf pans.
  11. Deflate the dough, cut in half and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
  12. Roll out into a 9 x 12-inch rectangle. (I eyeballed it)
  13. With the short end facing you, fold the dough into thirds like a sheet of paper to go into an envelope, creating a roll.
  14. Pinch the seam closed, and pinch the ends enough so it will fit in the loaf pan.
  15. Drop in the loaf pan seem side down, and repeat.
  16. Cover the loaves with buttered plastic wrap and allow to rise again in a warm place (80°F) for 45 minutes, until they double in size. (This is the step I left out the first time)
  17. Preheat the oven to 375°F and put the rack in the center of the oven.
  18. Bake for 35-45 minutes til they are honey brown.
  19. Immediately turn out of pans onto a rack to cool.
  20. Once almost completely cool, they can be cut.
  21. Store in a brown paper bag for a day or two.
  22. Once cut, turn cut side down onto a cutting board and cover with a kitchen towel.

0 comments on "Home made bread"

Post a Comment

 

Desserts By Lauren Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez