Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mike's Tower of Cake

Posted by Lauren at 4:42 PM
Mike's birthday was the same weekend as the roulette wheel cake so I didn't have time to do exactly what I wanted to. But I did get to try out some new recipes!

I have been meaning to try out some of Warren Brown's recipes but I haven't had much time to experiment lately. This cake was made with components from Warren Brown's "CakeLove: How to Bake Cakes from Scratch" and it was pretty damn incredible!

I first made the "golden butter cake" and the layers didn't rise as much as I would have liked and I really hate flat cakes so I decided to make the "chocolate butter cake" as well. Delicious, but a little dense.

I filled the layers with the chocolate pastry cream recipe which was very good and the frosted the whole thing with my variation of his "flame" frosting. I would have liked to make it exact, but I didn't have everything on hand. I'm still on the hunt for cocoa butter. The frosting tasted almost like apple pie but with a kick you can feel in the back of your throat. There are several different chili powders that go into this and I think I really went overboard with the ancho chili powder. (recipe called for actual dried chili's, but whatever).

I will definitely be trying out the frosting again! Mine didn't get as thick as I would have liked, but it was delicious!

4 comments on "Mike's Tower of Cake"

Christa Owens on September 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM said...

Wow! this cake is mouth watering! I'm a big fan of warren Brown too! hope you could make more of his recipe! keep it up! =)

Lauren on October 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM said...

Thanks so much! Warren Brown is great. I'm just having a hard time finding some of the ingredients. Any advice on where to find cocoa butter?

Christa Owens on October 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM said...

I don't often bake though, but i do it oftentimes just to unwind myself with the daily stressful week of work.. I'M not sure where you can find it, but maybe you could like make it?

Lauren on October 1, 2009 at 8:34 PM said...

Not sure... I'll have to look into it. Thanks though. :o)

Post a Comment

 

Desserts By Lauren Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez