Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cupcake class at ICE

Posted by Lauren at 1:03 AM
Ok, so I took a cupcake class tonight with my aunt at ICE (Institute of Culinary Education). It was incredible! I have been on the hunt for a great yellow cake recipe and now I have finally found it! That alone was worth the price of the class. But then on top of it I finally learned how to make Swiss Meringue Buttercream! Not only did we have a great time, but we got to taste some great recipes.

Cake wise, we kinda stuck to the basics. We made a yellow cake and a double chocolate chip cake. Frosting wise, I went with stuff I have never tried before. I topped off the yellow cupcakes with a chocolate fudge frosting. Not too hard, but takes a little while to make. Then I went with a vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream. I have never made SMB before, so I thought, why not? Well, now I know why not. Don't get me wrong... it tastes great! It's not as sweet as american butttercream... but it's a LOT more work!

My first attempt, I got scrambled eggs. OOPS. But after tasting the instructors raspberry SMB, I was determined. I wanted to make the raspberry one, but I was running out of time so I stuck to vanilla. I really like the fact that it's not as sweet and also, it's much lighter and fluffier. I think this weekend I have to go get a huge whisk and a small thermometer so I can try this again in my kitchen. Seriously worth the trouble!

The other cupcakes that I got to try, but didn't bring any home, were also incredible! There was a peanut butter cupcake with a chocolate truffle center and a carrot cake that most people paired with a cream cheese frosting. I am so glad I took this course and I am looking forward to taking another!


3 comments on "Cupcake class at ICE"

Cupcake Forum on October 6, 2009 at 3:37 PM said...

Looks yummy; hope my sister takes one of their cupcake classes so I can taste the results :)

Lauren on October 6, 2009 at 5:39 PM said...

LOL it was so much fun! I hope for your sake she takes a cupcake one too! I can't believe how many cupcakes I came home with!

Christa Owens on October 7, 2009 at 12:52 AM said...

ooh yumm! swiss meringue buttercream! now that was worth it! =)

Post a Comment

 

Desserts By Lauren Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez